Saturday, May 14, 2005

Crickets from hell

Last night my sister and I were talking on the phone and she brought up the story of the crickets from hell. At the time this occurred, I was about 14, and she was 9. Dad had the brilliant idea that the whole family (Dad, stepmom, me and sis) would go fishing. The dream trip of all 14 year old girls. At the bait shop, he bought a cricket cage. Now, this so-called cage had a big hole in the top, but the way it is designed, the crickets are not supposed to be able to get out.
(big dramatic pause)
Notice I said supposed to.
Apparently, we had inadvertently bought the Houdini of crickets. While my sister was holding this cage, one jumped out on her. Her response? To scream and throw the ENTIRE cage full of crickets at ME!! So now, instead of one cricket, we have dozens of crickets running amok in the car. Dad pulls over and orders us to start grabbing crickets and throw them out of the car.

Excuse me? I just had crickets hurled at me and he wants us to what?? Stepmom is yelling and glaring, and I have to decide if I am more afraid of her, or touching crickets.
You guessed it, I grabbed handfuls of crickets. I was creeped out for weeks. Sis and I laugh about this now, but since then we are both terrified of bugs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM HER SISTER SO I CAN SAY THE STORY IS COMPLETLY ACCURATE AND I CANNOT STAND BUGS AT ALL NOW.YUCK!!

Michael Lehet said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!!! I'm literally laughing because I can picture the entire episode.