Wednesday, February 11, 2009

And my life flashed before my eyes...

...or at least all the cheeseburgers I've eaten did. That's what happened this morning when I found out that my cholesterol is moderately high. And my uhhh...triglycerides are even higher! And I didn't even know what that was!

Let me start at the beginning. Last week I took my skinny eleven year old for her shots and checkup. They found her cholesterol is moderately high. Not worrisome, but changes needed to be made. Skip fried stuff at least most the time, and go from 2% to 1% milk. Also increased physical activity, but we were already working on that since she's moved back in. That was the doctor's recommendation. But as skinny, and fairly active as she is, I wondered if it was the hereditary kind so I had mine checked. Apparently it is.

So now I'm supposed to watch cholesterol, trans fat, and sugar. Or something like that. I seriously considered vegetarianism for a bout five minutes. But then decided it would probably be a good idea to do vegetarian meals maybe half the week. Can't hurt! I ordered a magazine subscription to read up on it. If I'm going to do it, I'd better do it right.

I did decide almost immediately that red meat is out. Period. And I don't think my levels are really high enough to have to do that, but that's what I felt I needed to do. I go on feelings a lot, and this is where I'm going. I am also adding fish to our diet more regular. Salmon and tuna were recommended for their high levels of omega 3, I think I got that worded right. There's so much I have to read up on!

I'm supposed to get mine checked again in three or four months. So, with the diet changes added to joining the gym a couple weeks ago, I will see what progress is made. If more changes need to be made then I will. I also asked if I should be tested for long term effects, but the nurse said they checked my liver...something...levels and all seems to be well there.

So I reinvent myself a little once again. Not completely, just a little morphing. But all is good. :)

4 comments:

Rayna said...

Good for you! Sounds like you're being sensible. A great way to approach this. :)

Don't forget, Cheerios and oatmeal.

Vegetarian is very good for you. Enjoy your search. Nutrition is rather interesting.

Good luck!

Lola Starr said...

Wow. You are definitely being smart about this. And I admire your willpower. If it was me, I could never give up red meat entirely....I have no self-discipline however. I love these changes you're making in your life, I think they're fabulous!!! :)

Xmichra said...

If your triglycerides (sp!) are out of whack you actually need to cut down on carbs (rice, noodles, potatos). tri-glys are made from the body ingesting carbs and your body makes insulin to digest the carbs, and the insulin makes the tri-glys spike higher.

So if it is the triglyserides that are the culprit, you may be cutting the wrong foods.

That being said, red meat is generally not good for your cholesterol, but if you keep less than (and i might be off by a few %'s) 6% of your dietary intake you should be fine.

Most people take way too much for a portion of red meat (and everything else really). The portion should be only the size of your palm, and about as thick as your hand as well. Meat should be cooked more thourough so that the majority of the blood is burnt off (reducing cholesterol, it is in eh blood, in fatty acids) and should only be eaten three times a week.

For me this is easy because i seldome eat red meat, but i can see how it would be hard for others. My husband would die, that's for sure..lol

I personally don't think that cutting out an entire food group is a good way. But i have been under the thinking that moderaion and proper portions and frequencies are better... i have been trying to keep this as my base nutritional thing for the past two months.

Kat said...

Ray: I can't stand oatmeal, but I luvs cherrios. :)

Karma: Yeah, I was already doing some changes, now I'm just making more.

Xmichra: The carb thing was what was confusing me. I knew it had something to do with those things. I rarely eat red meat anyway, and have considered cutting it for a long time for digestive reasons. I almost always have some digestional problems after eating it. This just sort of finalized the deal. I will still cook have fish, chicken, and turkey in moderation. The carbs will be the hardest for me to cut back on! I love bread and pasta! I'm going to research and be careful and see how it changes when I get re-tested. :)