Thursday, July 20, 2006

Once you've learned to be lonely

I've been listening to Reba today, because that's what I do when I'm a little down. I listen to country music. One of her songs has always struck a familiar chord in my heart. The lyrics are very powerful.


  • But once you've learned to be lonely
    And lonely is the only thing you've known
    It begins to feel like home
    It becomes your comfort zone
    Once you've learned to be without someone
    And settle for the silence of an empty room
    Oh,it changes you
    There's a lot you have to undo
    Once you've learned to be lonely

Lonely is doing things yourself without asking for help, because you've become so used to having to.

Lonely is taking care of your eight month old with only the help of your six year old less than a week after galbladder surgery.

  • It becomes a habit of the heart
    To be afraid and even start
    To try and love again

Lonely is not believeing in Soul Mates.

Lonely is not being afraid of being completely alone when the children grow up, it's knowing you will be alone.

I'm really not as down as this post sounds. This is just some stuff that's been accumulating and needed to come out.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you EVER quit believing in soulmates!!
Tc
hugs ((( )))

Kelli said...

That is a song I have always liked too...

Sorry you are down...

Chris said...

Isn't it odd how, when we're down, we listen to music that only makes it worse?

I hope the vacation helps. :)

Day by Day said...

I felt that way with my ex... many times.

I hope you get over this hump, darlin'... :)

Sar said...

Kat, I'm sorry you're feeling down. I hope there's a transition from lonely to solice and perhaps companionship. But the most important thing is to enjoy time with yourself above all else.

In the meantime, I think I may have just the little pick me up you need. C'mon over. Bring your friends too. :)

ghartstein said...

Hope things pick up for you soon. All the best.

Tamarai said...

I don't know the song, but the lyrics are fab. I know how easy it is to fall into being by yourself and it becomes a habit. Even when someone IS there to help, you don't ask for it, you just do it by yourself. It alters your perception of the world around you and the loneliness becomes more familiar than your lover. I understand where you're coming from.

Xmichra said...

hmm. much thought this will put me in.
I am not a big country music fan.. but those lyrics OYE how great are they?? Fantastic words i tell you.
I don't really know what to say.. nothing will make it 'better' on my end, of that i am certain. And I am going to e-mail you something later (don't really want it in here)... but just know that there are a few of us out here that would be there is a heartbeat if we could. And a few (like Bubbles) that are there.

I know it's no hunk of burning desire... but that is what cabanna boys are for right?? hehe ;)

bubbles said...

Well I have to agree with TC on this and Exmichra too! All you need to do is ask...

Rae Ann said...

The part about having to take care of the baby with no help after surgery really struck a sore chord for me too. I hope things get better soon!

GERBEN said...

((hug)) I am sorry you are feeling down hon.

~ good girl ~ said...

Hello dear Kat,

I've sometimes missed the line that separates lonely from alone, but what I know is this. When you wake up in the morning, take a deep breath and wonder where today might lead, know the you who will come through the hours till you lie in bed again, know who this person is who does it anyway.

Brave.

Smooches & hugs,
GG xo

~ good girl ~ said...

Oh my lord!! The guy in Reba's video is CUTE!!!

I'll wear my apron for him any day. You'll tell him that for me, wontcha??!

GG x