Thursday, July 13, 2006

Yard work, broken swingsets and mormans

I've been neglecting my yardwork. Which really wasn't that big of a deal because most of the grass has stopped growing and turned brown. I suppose I could water it, but then I would have to mow more, now wouldn't I? So I fought with the weedeater, and won. Then I mowed. While mowing the backyard I became frustrated with having to go around the swingset. It's broken anyway, has been since hubs was here last. Apparently he moved it and a bolt came loose. So I flipped the thing over twice out of my way. Once I was done with the yard I got out my tools and took it apart. I had a little help with the last piece, it had rusted together and a neighbor happened to be out and helped me pull it apart.

So how do mormans come into this? Well, I'm sitting on the front bench watching my toddler play when a minivan pulls into my driveway. A minivan with an older man driving and a couple of other guys. Then they get out and the two young guys have on the white button up shirt with the black name tags. Oh yeah, I can spot them a mile away. So I'm thinking, WTF? And they ask if this is the ****** residence and I say yes before it occurs to me to flat out lie. So he's like "good we're in the right place." And I, sitting there in my not so modest tank top I did yard work in, and my nose ring reply with "You are?" The sarcasm flies right over their heads and they come over and introduce themselves. To cut some stuff short I tell them Jeff is in Iraq and stuff and that I didn't even know he was still in contact with their church. And the older dude explains that they track their members for all eternity (ok, he didn't use those exact words). They ask for an address and I give them jeff's email because he never has gotten a physical address to me. The same neighbor accidently rescued me. I had loaned him my riding lawnmower because it was about to rain, and it would be quicker than his push mower. He pulls up right about then and I explain he was bringing it back, mumble something about me being Methodist (but left off how bad I am at it) and pretty much totally ignore their exit.

You know. Now that I have it typed up, I realize that the mormans were the funniest part of my day.


I'll leave you with a picture of my toddler and Charlie. One of her newest favorite phrases is "Dats my Chawee!" (That's my Charlie). Well, the other day he was in her room at naptime and she wanted to pet him. So I put him up there with her. She hugged him to her and they both went to sleep!


How cute is that?

14 comments:

h2daddy said...

I stumbled across your blog because you are on the TN blog list. Being a fellow TNean, I thought I would check it out. Plus I grew up in OR so Knoxville also grabbed my attention. I just started blogging so I am checking everybodies out. P.S. I hide from the Mormons myself.

Angela said...

UGH!!! my grass just got cut the other day. It was 6 weeks since the last cut, due to the drought. But the weeds they grew and grew and grew *LOL*. Neighbors are good for something sometimes aren't they?. *giggles* Joking.. Long story but, I have a neighbor that I'll have to share about real soon. (She's a sweet gal but such a doof!!). The pic is soo dog gone ooppss no offense to kitty cute. *he he he*. Makes me heart melt like buddar..
Have a good night!!

Day by Day said...

LOL... sounds like an "eventful" day...
The pic is darlin'... :)

ghartstein said...

I suppose just giving them his email was esier than telling them he's in back preparing the virgins for sacrifice to keep the gods happy. Though tht might've been more interesting watching their reactions.

~ good girl ~ said...

I never quite know what to say when I'm approached. I hem and haw, stutter and mumble, and often try to run away, like RUN! But they are a persistent lot :-(

That picture is a hoot! How cute is that, indeed??!

GG

Xmichra said...

Mormons I am fine with. Infact I am usually pretty hospitable. But Since Kens death, jehova's are not welcome in my home. I have no problem with thier exsistance or anything, I just don't wan tthem preaching in my house. I have had about all I can handle of that.

Hope your yard looks glorious!

bubbles said...

Mormons don't bother me because I have been instructed on how to deal with the but like Xmichra I do not oblige the Jehovas witness. I don't let any of them in the house though. I think the picture is too cute!

Kelli said...

That is the most adorable picture...too cute..

GERBEN said...

Oh my gosh! I love that pic. How sweet!

Tamarai said...

aw bless - cats and kids.

Sheesh about the Mormons, though. That's most bizarre. They track ex-members? Or stalk? I have an ex-mormon friend... I should warn him. He's a Buddhist. And gay. Boy is he gonna fry in hell...

SierraBella said...

The last religious zealots who came to my house (on a marked, private road) were greeted by my arm pointing them back off the property, and one word... "out!"
They left immediately.

Love the picture!

truckdriver_sefl said...

that will teach ya to do yard work!!

Miz BoheMia said...

Oooh! Reminds me of some Mormon stories of my own! Glad you survived them! ;-)

I just love the picture!

Anonymous said...

Oh this picture of your cat in bed with your daughter is cute, I love it.:)
Yes..Mormons will track you down for ever, my children were members with my ex and when my daughter moved in with us, they kept coming, even after they left the church.
They have a list and I think it's passed down from generation to generation.LOL