Thursday, February 23, 2006

Letter to my Pets

Dear Dogs and Cats,

The dishes with the paw print are yours & contain your food. The other dishes
are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of
my plate & food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food & dish, nor do
I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to
the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster
than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this.
Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs
& cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to
sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible.
I also know that sticking tails straight out & having tongues hanging out the
other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some
miracle I beat you there & manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to
claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try
to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I
have been using the bathroom for years -- canine or feline attendance is not
mandatory.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's behind. I
cannot stress this enough!

To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front
door:

All Non-Pet Owners Who Visit & Like to Complain About Our Pets
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
(That's why they call it "fur"niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, he/she is an adopted son/daughter who is
short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.

5 comments:

Chris said...

It's funny that you posted this, as I was just threatening to skin one of my cats. There should be something in there about just what the litter box is for, and what the rest of the house is NOT for. >:(

Erin said...

I am thinking you should write this into law!!

Michael Lehet said...

That was Purrfect!

I love it, very funny!

I remember years ago (in the internets infancy) there was a Handbook written By Cats For Cats so they knew how to interact with everything, I wish I could find it as it was hilarious.

ghartstein said...

That's cool! As a couple with no kids and two small dogs, I can relate. And even the small ones try to take up a lot of room when they sleep. It's truly amazing!

bubbles said...

great writing....you should try to get this published. Funny stuff here Kat.