Friday, March 03, 2006

Fiction Friday

Just something little here. A setting a had in my head.

My favorite place in the world is my grandpa's cabin. He left it to me when he died because he knew I would take care of it, and pass it along to my children and grandchildren. He was born there, in the largest of the two bedrooms. He lived there all his life, raised two children until they went off to college. Grandma died twenty years before him, he stayed right there in that cabin until last year. He was 78 years old. It is a fairly simple cabin, has been in the family for five generations including my own. Electricity and a phone line were added over the years, but no cable. The only heat is from the old wood stove in the living area. There's no need for air conditioning here settled back off the road in the woods a bit. It's always shady.

This little cabin sits in the foothills only half an hour from the city. But when I sit on the porch with my first cup of tea for the day looking a the the deep purple morning glory climbing the porch railing and listening to the early birds, it's like I have gone a century back in time.

7 comments:

bubbles said...

sounds vaguley familiar....hmmmm....we need another trip to my cabin.

Xmichra said...

*sniffs* That was like my grandpas cabbin. He died almost seven years ago and that was the last place I have real memories of him still. He used to make the best french toast in the world.. it was all done on the fire outside in the morning.. and the camp would smell like maple syrup. it was so nice out there.
Thanks for that Kat.

Anonymous said...

Kat this is terrific.
The setting and the visuals are perfect.
more! more! more!
tc

Kat said...

bubbles: yes, we do.

raynwomaan: I thought so too, it may pop up in a story of mine later.

xmichra: You're Welcome!

top cat: Thank you, I hope to be more regular with my fiction friday.

ghartstein said...

Very descriptive...made me wish I was away from the city and on a mountain somewhere!

Kelli said...

That made me remember all my family vacations to my uncles cabin out in the woods...

Sounds so peaceful.

Chris said...

Oh yes, I like this. You'll be setting a story there soon, yes?

Please?