Friday, January 27, 2006

Fiction Friday

I don't have a story this week, but I do have a character to introduce. Will he end up in a story of mine someday? Probably. I really did meet a man like this in person very briefly. As you can tell, he left quite an impression on me.


I first saw him in the lobby of my mother's apartment building. He was sitting in one of those motorized wheel chairs that are guided by a little joystick. He smiled at us with perfect white teeth that could only be false and complimented me on my daughters. His exact age was a mystery. He was at least in his fifties, maybe even sixties. The creases on his face showed many years of smiling. Dressed for church in a crisp white button up shirt and black slacks, he wore a bit too much aftershave, but was so charming, I didn't mind. In his youth he most likely was referred to as "colored". The politically correct term has changed at least twice in his lifetime. I will always remember him simply as a southern gentleman.


****************************************************************

As a sidenote, Tuesday was my 9th wedding anniversary. He forgot. Again. Although he said he mentioned it once, but I was busy and didn't pay attention and he pouted. To be honest we are so busy with him leaving Sunday, that we just didn't give the day the attention it deserved. Just felt like mentioning it.

4 comments:

Michael Lehet said...

Well Happy Belated Anniversary.

Boys suck! You should try being one and dating one : -)

Chris said...

That guy is ideal for a Fiction Friday character. I can't wait to read about him.

And Happy (belated) Anniversary from me too. Perhaps you can celebrate on Saturday night instead, eh? ;)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful description of this person you are writing about, your words are warm and rich.

Happy Anniversary!!
How about a special make-up Anniversary celebration when he returns?

Xmichra said...

I love your descriptions.. it is very tangible.

men.. YEISH. I am sorry, I SO am not the one to talk about this stuff this week!!

And what the heck is with the word verifications today!! They are all Sooo long! 9 letters!!!